Monday, November 2, 2009

No Pain, No Gain: Mastering A Skill Makes Us Stressed In The Moment, Happy Long Term

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091029120900.htm

The saying no pain, no gain may now have some new meaning. after new research "published online in the Journal of Happiness Studies. People who work hard at improving a skill or ability, such as mastering a math problem or learning to drive, may experience stress in the moment, but experience greater happiness on a daily basis and longer term."

I have found this to actually be true with many aspects of my life. Whether it is as simple as getting better at driving, watching my body develop from months of working out, or just acing a test that I have been studying for the preparation tends to suck, but the results bring greater satisfaction because of all the hard work that had to go into the task. I tend to agree with this article a lot and it gives me a greater insight into why things seem hard but satisfying at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with this article. You may get really stressed about a test you've been studying or maybe a job interview you've been nervous about, but when you reach your goal you feel a sense of relief. This sense of relief is a step towards happiness and gratification.

    ReplyDelete