Saturday, October 10, 2009

Think you're looking good? Might just be a post-exercise mind trick

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20091009/ARTICLES/910091006/1002?Title=Think-you-re-looking-good-Might-just-be-a-post-exercise-mind-trick

It does not really matter if you are actually gaining results the individual who is exercising will generally still view themselves in better light according to this study. This whole idea stems from the fact that self-image is subjective and can change based on how the person feels. This idea truly makes sense because of such phenomena’s as a runner’s high for example. This is when someone is running and feels better about themselves along with having extended energy because of the release of endorphins while running. These endorphins act as a “happy” hormone and are released during physical activity. Once these endorphins are released the person feels better about themselves and thus their bodies. This study really does bring things together and I do agree with it.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand how these results come about. Sometimes going to the gym isn’t just about results it’s just about feeling better about yourself. I’m generally happy with my body, but when I go to the gym it always gives me some extra confidence. Even though I may not see results I know that I’m making my body healthier and helping my long-term health.

    ReplyDelete